Inside Panasonic’s Rugged Devices That Are as Tough as Their Users
In today’s technological era, it’s become the norm that devices are treated like glass boxes. Cracked phone screens, broken laptops and computers that seem to shut down after a slight wind regularly plague the common user. But for those working in extreme or rough environments, they would never dream of taking such devices with them – they simply wouldn’t last. That’s why Panasonic, one of the world’s first “purpose-driven” brands founded in 1918 by Japanese businessman Konosuke Matsushita, stepped up to close this gap with their TOUGHBOOK® line of computers, handhelds and tablets.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK rugged (“rugged” meaning a standard of federally-defined durability in which all included devices need to meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G requirements) laptops and handheld computers are part of a complete solution combining hardware, software and services for those who work in harsh environments daily. TOUGHBOOK devices are designed specifically for those who use them, and they have the reliability needed to accomplish a safe and successful workday. These devices allow first responders, utility companies, police force and military personnel to tackle their toughest work assignments with the right combination of incredibly reliable hardware, industry-leading software and services ranging from field engineering to deployment.
From the inside out, the TOUGHBOOK line (made of computers, tablets, 2-in-1s and handhelds) is designed, engineered, manufactured and supported to deliver unsurpassed device durability, reliability and longevity. Panasonic backs up these promises from design to deployment through their hardware, software and services they provide. Faced with ongoing challenges and a diverse array of extreme work environments, today’s mobile workforce needs devices that evolves with technology trends and works just as hard as they do. This line of certified rugged devices withstand the abuse from today’s most extreme environments and the software and services to give the hardware a backbone to serve today’s service members and first responders.
The TOUGHBOOK hardware allows for ultimate utility. First responders and service members spend a significant amount of time outdoors and need daylight-viewable screens, as well as devices that can function in rain, snow and other extreme weather conditions. Here are some hardware features that come standard on most rugged TOUGHBOOK devices:
- Gloved touchscreen capability (that works even with gloves or in the rain) and raised bezel and screen films that help prevent screen cracks and scratches from bumps and falls.
- Sturdy handles to minimize the potential for drops while carrying the device.
- Quick-release hard drive that is also shock-mounted to insulate against vibration and drop shock. They also come protected in a magnesium alloy case with scratch-resistant paint, so it can easily sustain drops and abuse.
- The combination of an infrared webcam and the Windows Hello application for facial recognition, iris scanning or fingerprint scanning for user authentication.
- Environmental seals, dampers, flexible connectors and fanless designs to shield the device from liquids and weather.
- High definition screens with night mode to reduce eye strain and help preserve night vision.
- Battery life lasting up to 40 hours with optional second battery.
- Optional features include fingerprint and SmartCard readers to allow quick and secure login to keep data secure, 4G LTE connectivity to keep consistent coverage and functionality, antenna pass-through to support Wi-Fi, cellular or GPS connections (even in vehicles), barcode readers for inventory purposes and Magstripe reader for reliable ID and credit card authentication.
Software quality was not spared for TOUGHBOOK devices. Panasonic included software for when service members have to be with a functioning mobile computer – be that in the desert, a hurricane or a blizzard (i.e. miles away from civilization or in otherwise unreliable weather conditions). Panasonic built in flexibility and choice when it came to the software of the TOUGHBOOK line so that customers wouldn’t be excluded from the benefits these types of devices provide, regardless of what rugged environment its user is in.
- Operating system for laptops: Windows 10 Pro
- Operating system for handhelds: Android™ 9 (Pie)
- CPU for handhelds: Qualcomm® Quad-Core and Octa-Core with 4GB RAM and 64GB Flash
- CPU for laptops: CPU with Intel® vPro™ Technology for added security (like the Intel security measures such as Intel® Trusted Platform Module [TPM] 2.0) and manageability capabilities such as threat management from viruses and malware, protection of confidential personal and business data and remote monitoring, remediation and repair of PCs
- Opal standard for hardware-based disk encryption necessary for DoD applications
- WiFi, Bluetooth enabled and GPS optional
- Some handhelds support AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk (EPTT), it can also interoperate with other EPTT handsets as well as LMR devices
Panasonic didn’t stop at providing reliable and durable equipment. They also tout customer services like:
- First responder solutions, installation and personalization services, consulting services, mobility application assistance, even a 24-hour replacement service and recycling services to assist with disposing your laptop in an environmentally-friendly way
- 3 year limited warranty for their products
- Customer feedback channels to continue to innovate, provide products, services and apps that uniquely meet the customer needs
- Experts in a U.S.-based national service center that provide free overnight delivery of customer-replaceable parts and repaired units
Iron Bow is proud to work with the U.S. Coast Guard and other military agencies to provide Panasonic TOUGHBOOK devices. Backed with our decades of expertise in data centers, cyber security, and mobile/end-user devices, Iron Bow not only provides the equipment our service members and first responders need to accomplish their missions, but the 24/7 services to close the loop on 100% customer satisfaction. To learn more about how Iron Bow and Panasonic can help arm your agency with the products and services it needs to carry your mission across the finish line, please contact us.
TechSource in your Inbox
Sign-up here to receive our latest posts by email.